Contact Details

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527


email: info@aprildanann.com

Monday 1 October 2012

Getting Started with Fasting

I get asked some very good questions - often, and yesterday was no exception. This is one I have talked about before and go into extensively in my book The Pagan Diet, however I will mention it here as well for those of you wanting to get started on some fasting.

Fasting is easy - it truly is mind over matter. Actually eating, fasting, and perhaps nearly all of our healing must get through the filters of the mind first in order to have a positive effect on the rest of our beings. 

To fast for me has come to mean - a day, or a few days (or many!) of being completely focused on walking my spiritual path, the tasks set out before me or pursuing my hearts desires. Nothing before in my life has enabled me to walk forward with undivided attention such as the time spent fasting.

To get started on a fast, first of all don't spend too much time thinking about it or planning for it. Just mention casually to yourself the day before, tomorrow I will fast. And then mull these words over for the rest of the day.

The next morning, get up and eat nothing. Drink some hot water with a bit of fresh organic lemon squeezed into it, clear herbal teas or just stay on fresh, untreated well/spring water all day. Don't spend a lot of time thinking about food, or hunger. 

An empty stomach and hunger are two completely different things - one is mental and the other is physical. For the most part, not many of us in our Western world have experience either of these, a little hunger is good for you, your digestive system will get a break and your body will gain clarity. 

One of the reasons I mention above to keep your intentions to yourself, is because you really do not need others opinions wading into your thought process - especially when they are based on fear. Fasting for a few hours is not going to hurt you, in fact it will add to your life and enhance your spirituality.

If a full day fasting sounds like too much to start with - plan on a few hours, 12 hours or 16 - work your way up to 24 or more each time. Once you can do a day, then extend this to two days a week or 30 hours at a time. 

Fasting for each of us will be unique, time spent contemplating our lives, the path we are on and getting better acquainted with ourselves and exercising. It is time well spent! 

Happy Fasting!

April


My own herbal teas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment