Contact Details

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527


email: info@aprildanann.com

Wednesday 3 October 2012

Benefits of Fasting - Some Thoughts

Today is a fast day and I feel great - actually it is always a better day then an eating day - when I happen to be busy with projects and stuff because I find I can think more clearly as well as focus on the tasks at hand.

I thought to write about fasting a little bit more - I talk about this extensively in my book The Pagan Diet - but here are a few of my thoughts on the subject.

Fasting for me has come to mean clarity - I gain distance from circumstances taking place in my life and get to have a bit of a breather. Not that I stop doing anything or hold back on my fast days - quite the opposite in fact.

My fast days are busier, more concentrated and full on. I carry on with all my normal activities and throw in a few more for good measure. Usually I have loads of energy and a little plan in place covering some of the things I want to get done.

Having enough energy is not a problem at all - I have found that because I am not digesting food, but allowing my system to rest and have a little clear out, any energy that would have been used to digestion is now diverted to other things.

I stop eating early enough the day before so as not to be stuffed full on my fast day. This is an important part of fasting for me. I have never liked to feel 'over stuffed' with food and love it when my system is clean and clear. This can happen with a few hours of fasting, sipping clean water and some exercise.

Many people comment on how when they go without food for even a few hours they feel dizzy or light headed - yeah, that used to be my complaint as well. It didn't last long because I found first of all it was a mind thing (seriously) and secondly, blood sugar imbalance is a symptom of something other then an empty stomach. 

Think about it - never before in our history have we ever had access to so much food, all the time. And then we are expected to eat 3 meals a day plus snacks. No wonder we have blood sugar issues! By the way, this balances out very quickly after a couple of times fasting. 

Your body is designed to withstand fasting - of course it is. It would be ridiculous to think otherwise. Humanity has a huge history associated with fasting. 

Which brings me to the next point - I am a Nutritionist, I have been working with food for years, and following detoxes, cleanses and whatnot. Never before have I had so much success or satisfaction from anything diet related.

Fasting gave me back my control, my sanity and my body - and not just in the outer world. I am talking about inwardly - balance in hormones, weight, digestion and body function. Nothing else has ever done that for me, no supplement, no food, no diet and no amount of positive thinking.

However, taken all together - exercise, clean water, organic whole foods, fasting and a healthy lifestyle - you can have it all!

Have a healthy day,

April


The Pagan Diet Cover 

No comments:

Post a Comment