Contact Details

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527


email: info@aprildanann.com

Thursday 24 January 2013

Undoing Education....

You know what - sometimes I really hold myself back from saying what I really want to say...and I do it everywhere. I have learned over the years to carefully guard my words and I often don't say what I am thinking and feeling.

Mostly because I don't want to offend anyone - or because I might think my opinion doesn't matter. 

So, if I do this - of course many others do this too. But why? What does it gain us to hold ourselves back from speaking our true minds and most importantly giving the words from our hearts full reign. Perhaps we have been socially conditioned to hold our tongues more then we think.

And, that is something else I have been thinking about long and hard.... this entire concept of socialization. It's not all it's cracked up to be that's for certain! I have long seen how people with small children for instance, are encouraged to place their little small babies in 'social' situations mostly before they are ready.

I certainly was. And at the time, being a new mother with my first child, I actually listened for a few short weeks. Then I came to the conclusion that my infant only wanted Mom and Dad, and the kids, adults etc. who were doing the socializing would not be someone I wanted to be around!

Perhaps, this all came from the way we are 'conditioned' in schools to conform. I remember being expected to keep quiet and not 'start' anything - especially with those who were particularly opinionated. And this can sometimes hold even now.

But, not always and I am learning and feeling freer to speak up when I feel the need. Funny how it's taken a lifetime to undo my education....

April




No comments:

Post a Comment