Contact Details

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527


email: info@aprildanann.com

Sunday 13 January 2013

Self Mastery - Begins with Discipline

For a minute there I had to stop and think what day of my fast I was on - perhaps because I am feeling so detached from it. The days matter, but really they don't - and I am not sure even how to explain that! Perhaps it's because when you are cleansing especially in the beginning, your focus needs to be on the tasks at hand.

I just heard someone use the word discipline - a word I use quite a lot with myself. It used to be a negative word at one time in my life - however, once I started my first detox and certainly during my 40 days fasting, it came to have a whole new meaning.

Now, I look forward to and enjoy these little (and not so little) disciplines I have incorporated into my daily life. Of course perhaps the biggest one might be fasting, another one could be exercise - and then, choosing to eat only homemade foods might also be a form of self regulation.

Whenever I need to get to the bottom of something - I turn to the dictionary and look it up! Once you get past the negative connotations that have come to surround this word you begin to see the other words associated with it... such as:

control
mastery
regulation
restraint 
train 
prepare

Wow, what a word this starts to become, especially when you place the word 'self' in front or after of most the them.  Taking it a little further, if we apply each of these to our body then we start to see where a little discipline can take us. 

It just leads me to wonder if part of the problem in our lives which leads to dysfunction (depression, disease, excess weight) lies with being disciplined in the wrong areas...

April  

Picture of love!

No comments:

Post a Comment