Contact Details

+353 (0)87 236 1616
+353 (0)28 34527


email: info@aprildanann.com

Monday 30 December 2013

Keep the Energy Moving

Exercise….

Yes, I know it’s Christmas time and nearly no one wants to talk about or even think about exercise after all that eating….nibbling and snacking. LOL But, one of the reasons I bring this up right now is to remind myself, how there is less guilt involved with all these meals…..

When I get off my arse and do something even remotely close to exercise! 

So, with this in mind I have been making an effort to do something each day – walking, running, weights, skipping, rebounding – you name it, all in an attempt to keep myself in that exercise grove throughout the holiday season (not to mention keep my metabolism up).

And for the most part I am sticking to it – albeit, around outings, tired children, late nights and eating way too much…..but, that being said, I do feel so much better waking up in the morning knowing that I did manage to get in 20 or 25 minutes of physical activity the day before.

Plus, there are all the other side benefits….once I am in the exercise room or on my treadmill, I quickly go into my own little space and that in itself is quite nice with all this intense energy around (these storms are something!). I get time to think, plan and sort out the world’s issues all in one go (talk about shifting energy)! 

So, this time out is good for me – I really enjoy having a little room all to myself even if for a few minutes at a time.

We have had so much nasty weather as well, making it nearly impossible most days for the kids to get outside – so why not burn off some of the energy doing a few activities? The children need to be busy, doing things as well as getting their own down time, part of down time here often includes fun 'workouts' with mom and dad. 

One of the most important aspects of staying active while feasting, eating larger then normal meals and trying new recipes - is the fact that increased physical activity keeps our digestive systems (and bowels) running smoothly. Things just move through more efficiently when we exercise – if we are up and running, then so are our insides!

My own formula for exercise has come from my years spent with a lowered thyroid after pregnancy – it always helps me to do 10 to 15 minutes of activity about 3 times a day to keep my endocrine system healthy. This might mean a brisk walk first thing in the morning, weights or skipping around noon and then yoga at night.

It doesn’t have to be a long session (longer sessions don’t really suit my schedule) but smaller segments of time broken up throughout the day. It helps that nearly everything we do is from home, but even on our days out I find I can achieve some part of this (no excuses! LOL)….

At the end of the day, when I feel as if I have included an exercise routine I sleep much better. I know each day will be different – new day, new activity - new ways to fit it in. But, absolutely nothing keeps your energy moving quite like physical movement, and that's a healthy energy field as well as enough energy to get through the day.

April
Soldiers Lookout - Lough Hyne

No comments:

Post a Comment